I’m so excited to let you know I’m going to be a Pitch Wars Mentor this year! Now it’s time for me to explain what I’m looking for and why you want me to be your mentor!
My Wish List
I’m looking for YA only in the following genres: fantasy, contemporary, romance, thriller, and horror.
- I prefer light fantasy over high fantasy, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I won’t like your high fantasy, especially if you have a strong voice and your main character has a sense of humor.
- I NEED kissing scenes. If you don’t have romance in your book, it’s not for me.
- I prefer first person. I’ll read third, but it has to be extremely engaging. I don’t want to feel any distance from the character.
- If you have a twist in your book that I don’t see coming, I’ll be your fangirl for life.
- I don’t generally enjoy super dark, sad themes–but again, so much depends on your MC’s voice. I Hunt Killers was dark and had some depressing stuff going on, but I loved that main character–he was honest, smart, and funny.
Why You Want ME ME ME
My YA fantasy, Between, will be published in July 2014 by Spencer Hill Press, and I’m currently working on book two of the trilogy. I’ve just finished the most brutal year of revising that has ever occurred in the history of ever. I ripped my story to shreds and rewrote it. And then I rewrote it again and again. Once the plot was solid, I had to flesh out all the scenes, adding inner monologue and external cues all over the place. That book is a million times better than it was a year ago. My editorial team at Spencer Hill Press is UH-MAZING, and I’ve learned so much from them. I’m going to pass all of this awesomeness on to you and your manuscript, too!
I’m gentle with my critiques. If I spot an issue, we’ll discuss it and brainstorm to come up with solutions together. I have no interest in taking your story from you. It’s your book, and I’m just here to help you turn it into the best manuscript it can possibly be.
I’m super active on twitter, and I blog with YA Misfits and The Write Notes. (And Jimmy Fallon follows The Write Notes twitter account. I’M JUST SAYING. PICK ME AND BASICALLY JIMMY FALLON MIGHT SEE YOUR NAME OR SOMETHING I DON’T KNOW.) I also post weekly vlogs on my personal channel, as well as monthly vlogs on the Parenthetically channel. In other words, I will pimp your manuscript all over the place. If I love your book, I’m one of the best cheerleaders you’re ever going to find.
Plus, I’m basically super fun and I love this stuff. Feel free to check out my web site to get to know more about me, www.meganwhitmerwrites.com. I know how difficult it can be to take critique and apply it to your story, but we’ll have a good time and get through it together, I promise.
LET ME LOVE YOU.
For submission guidelines and the list of agents participating, go to www.brenda-drake.com.
To check out the other mentors (but why would you want to do that when you clearly want ME), check out the Linky below!
(Sorry Charlie, no clues here!!)